New site is up and running and I could not be happier with it so far. Last night I awoke and decided to check in and maybe tinker with the site a bit before going back to sleep. Bad idea. I had somehow disable the Widget that had the log in link. Now I could not log in to tinker away.
Of course that meant it was priority one to fix and it must be done right then. I logged into the WP Codex forums but could not find the right answers. Google wasn’t much help either. My searches were producing answers but not like my issue. Searching is as only as good as the criteria you enter for the search and I think my lack of knowing the WordPress lingo may have hurt my efforts a bit.
So I tried looking a the code via my host’s Php admin tools. Lots of good that did and I’m glad I didn’t commit anything. Some things are better left untouched. I looked at code, opened files in Gedit, pretty blue and red etc., but it still meant nothing to me. So I gave up at about 3AM.
Still it gnawed around inside my brain not allowing me to sleep. About one hour of mulling it over when suddenly the aha moment came. I had remembered reading and seeing the wp-login.php file and it dawned on me to insert that after the web address.
Where’s a board to smack myself in the head when I need one! I fixed the mistakenly disabled widget and all was well again. So this will mark lesson number two about hosting one’s own blog and the trials that will accompany me along the way.